I am Professor of Digital Economy
in the School of Computer
and Director of Horizon
at the University of
After a PhD and lectureship in the Computer
at the University of Cambridge
I moved to a chair in
Department of Computer Science at the University of Glasgow
to Cambridge in July 1997, to help found the Cambridge Microsoft
Research facility, moving on to found the Intel lablet in
July 2002. A year working in Oregon for Intel from August 2005
Augst 2006, was an interesting cultural diversion and improved
skiing enormously, but alas during this sojourn the Cambridge
was shut. Before joining Nottingham I enjoyed the cut and
of two startups, XenSource (now Citrix) and Netronome
My research interests include
ubiquitous computing, computer architecture, networking,
systems and operating systems.
I am a Fellow of the British
and member of
, a computing
expert panel of the IET and BCS.
Publications etc.What Google Scholar has found
- I.M. Leslie and D.R. McAuley. Fairisle:
ATM Network for the Local Area. ACM Communication
19(4):327--336, 1991. SIGCOMM '91
- Hayter, M., McAuley, D., The
Network, ACM Operating System Review 25, Oct 1991,
- I. M. Leslie, D. R. McAuley, and
S. J. Mullender, Pegasus
operating system support for distributed
multimedia systems, ACM Operating Systems Review,
vol. 27, pp.
- I. M. Leslie, D. R. McAuley, and D. L. Tennenhouse, ATM
everywhere?, IEEE Network, vol.
7, pp. 40--46, Mar. 1993.
- R. Black, I. Leslie, and D.
McAuley. Experiences of
ATM switch for the Local Area. ACM
Communication Review, 24(4), 1994. SIGCOMM '94
- P. Barham, M. Hayter, D. McAuley,
and I. Pratt. Devices on
Area Network, IEEE Journal on
Selected Areas in Communication, 13(4):722--732, May 1995.
- I. M. Leslie, D. McAuley, R.
Black, T. Roscoe, P. Barham, D. Evers, R. Fairbairns, and E.
design and implementation of an operating system to
multimedia applications. IEEE Journal on Selected
Communications, 14(7):1280--1297, September 1996. [pdf]
- Satnam Singh, Jonathan Hogg and
Derek McAuley. Expressing
Reconfiguration by Partial
Evaluation. FCCM'96. IEEE Computer Society. 1996.
- D. R. McAuley and I. M. Leslie, The Desk Area Network,
Commun. Eng. J. -- June 1997 -- Volume 9, Issue 3,
- Peter Key and Derek McAuley, Differential
and QoS in networks: where flow-control meets game
theory. IEE Proceedings -- Software, 146(2), 1999.
- K.A. Williams, G.F. Roberts, T.
Lin, R.V. Penty, I.H. White, M. Glick, D. McAuley, Integrated
2x2 switch for wavelength multiplexed interconnect,
Topics Quantum Electronics, Jan/Feb 2005 vol 11.
- A. W. Moore, L. B. James, M. Glick, A. Wonfor, R. G.
I. H. White, D. McAuley, R. V. Penty,
Optical network packet error rate due to
physical layer coding, Journal of Lightwave
- T. Lin, K.A. Williams, R.V.
Penty, I.H. White, M. Glick, D. McAuley, Performance
and Scalability of
a Single Stage SOA Switch for 100Gb/s Wavelength Striped
Routing, IEEE Photonics Technology Letters Volume
5, March 2006.
- Ian H. White, Kevin A. Williams,
Richard V Penty, Tao Lin, Adrian Wonfor, Eng Tin Aw,
Michael Dales and Derek McAuley, Control
for high capacity
multi-stage photonic switch circuits, Journal
Volume 6, Issue 2, Feb 2007.
- H. Haddadi, R. Mortier, S. Hand, I. Brown, E. Yoneki, D. McAuley, J. Crowcroft, Privacy Analytics, ACM Computer Communication Review (CCR), 42(2), April 2012, Editorial [doi][pdf].
- D.R. McAuley, Omega: a
area network as a multi-media end system, 1st
Berkeley, Nov 1991
- DJ Greaves and D McAuley. Private
Networks. In IFIP 3rd International Workshop on
speed networks, May 1992. Stockholm.
- David J. Greaves, Derek McAuley,
and Leslie J. French, Protocol
interface for ATM LANs, in
Proceedings, 5th IEEE Workshop on Metropolitan Area
Italy (May 1992).
- D. R. McAuley, Operating
for the Desk Area Network, in Proceedings of the
International Workshop on Network and Operating System
Digital Audio and Video, (Lancaster, U.K.), pp. 3--10,
University, Nov. 1993.
- Robertson, G., and McAuley, D., Sample
Sychronization across an ATM network, proceeding of
International Computer Music Conference 97.
- Mullender, S., Leslie, I., and
McAuley, D. Operating-system
for distributed multimedia. In
Proceedings of the Summer USENIX Conference, June 1994. [pdf]
- D McAuley, Networking
Invited paper ITC 99.
- Rolf Neugebauer and Derek
Feedback Signals: An Approach to QoS
Management, 9th ACM SigOps Workshop, 2000
- Rolf Neugebauer and Derek
McAuley, Energy is just
resource: Energy accounting and energy
pricing in the Nemesis OS, HotOS VIII
- D McAuley, QoS for
what's going to make it pay?; IDMS 2001
- A.R. Davies, K.A. Williams, R.V.
Penty and I.H. White, M.,Glick and D. McAuley, Variable
of a gain-clamped sampled grating laser amplifier,
- A. Wonfor, R.V. Penty, I.H.
White, and D McAuley, Automatic
Compensation in Semiconductor Optical Amplifiers using
Monitoring, OFC 2002
- K.A. Williams, R.V. Penty, I.H.
White, and D. McAuley, Advantages
Gain Clamping in Semiconductor
Amplifier Crosspoint Switches, OFC 2002
- D.McAuley, Bayesian
Design, Soft-Ware 2002.
- D. Hunter and D. McAuley, An
Network, IP over WDM workshop, Networking 2002.
- A. Davies, K. Williams, R.
Penty, I. White, M. Williams, D. McAuley, P Williams, Broadband
clamped Semiconductor Optical Amplifier with variable gain
- K. Williams, R. Penty, I. White,
M. Glick, D. McAuley, Packet
Optical Data Networking
using Coarse Wavelength Division Multiplexing, IEE
Photonic Access Technologies, 2002.
- K.A.Williams, G.F. Roberts, R.V.
Penty, I.H. White, M. Glick, D. McAuley, D.J.
Blamire, Monolithic 2x2
Add/Drop Optical Switch for Data
Networking, SIOE 2003.
- D. McAuley and R. Neugebauer,
case for Virtual Channel Processors, NICELI 2003.
- G.F. Roberts, K.A. Williams,
R.V. Penty, I.H, White, M. Glick, D. McAuley, D.J.Kang, M.
Blamire Integrated SOA
based add-drop multiplexer
for WDM optical packet
routing with reduced distortion penalty, CLEO 2004.
- G.F. Roberts, K.A. Williams, J.
Sosabowski, R.V. Penty, I.H, White, M. Glick, D. McAuley Multi-wavelength
Multiplexer with Nanosecond
Reconfiguration Times for Local Area Networking,
- T. Lin, W. Tang, K.A. Williams,
G. Roberts, L. James, R.V. Penty, I.H, White, M. Glick, D.
McAuley 80Gb/s Optical
Packet Routing for Data
Networking using FPGA Based
100Mb/s Control Scheme, ECOC 2004.
- L James, A Moore, R Plumb, M
Glick, A Wonfor, I White, D McAuley, R Penty, Beyond
Physical Layer Issues in Future Optical Networks,
Symposium, September 2004. [pdf]
- L James, A Moore, R Plumb, M
Glick, A Wonfor, I White, D McAuley, R Penty, Packet
error rate and bit
error rate non-deterministic relationship in optical
application, OFC 2005. [pdf]
- T. Lin, K.A. Williams, R.V.
Penty, I.H, White, M. Glick, D. McAuley, Self-Configuring
Control for Short Reach 100Gb/s Optical Packet Routing,
- T. Lin, K. A. Williams, R. V.
Penty, I. H, White, M. Glick, M. Dales, D. McAuley, Multi-Port
Architecture for 100Gb/s Optical Packet Routing,
- T. Lin, K. A. Williams, R.V.
Penty, I. H. White, M. Dale, M. Glick and D. McAuley, A
Striped Optically Switch Interconnect and 100Gb/s Packet
Second e-Photon/ONe Summer School, Pisa, Italy, Aug, 2005.
- Michael Dales, Madeleine Glick,
Derek McAuley, Considerations
Control Planes in High-Capacity,
Low-Latency, Optically-Switched Interconnects,
- D McAuley, Network Flow
Processing in Carrier Ethernet, Linley Seminar, Jan
- D McAuley, Virtualization
Network Appliances, XenSummit, Boston, June 2008.
- J LeVasseur, R Panayappan, E
Skoglund, C du Toit, L Lynch, A Ward, D Rao, R Neugebauer, D
McAuley, Standardized but
Flexible I/O for
Self-Virtualizing Devices, WIOV08,
- D McAuley, Flexible I/O
Self-Virtualizing Devices, Syscon Virtualization
- R. Mortier, C. Greenhalgh, D. McAuley, A. Spence, A.
Madhavapeddy, J. Crowcroft, S. Hand, Personal
or, Your Life in Bits, Digital Futures Workshop,
Richard Mortier, Ripduman Sohan, Thomas Gazagnaire, Steven
Deegan, Derek McAuley and Jon Crowcroft, Turning
down the LAMP: Software
Specialisation for the Cloud, 2nd USENIX Workshop
on Hot Topics
in Cloud Computing (HotCloud '10), June 2010. [pdf]
- D.McAuley, R. Mortier, and J. Goulding, The
Dataware Manifesto, COMSNETS
2011, Bangalore, Jan 2011.[doi][pdf]
- A. Durrant, D. Rowland, D. Kirk, S. Benford, J. Fischer,
Generating Photoware for Theme Parks, CHI 2011, May
- J. Marshall, D. Rowland, S. Rennick-Egglestone, S.
Walker, D. McAuley, Breath
of Amusement Rides, CHI 2011, May 2011.[pdf]
- S. Rennick-Egglestone, B. Walker, J. Marshall, S. Benford, D. McAuley, Analysing the playground: Sensitizing concepts to inform systems that promote playful interaction, INTERACT 2011.[pdf]
- C. Leygue, A. Spence, C. O’Malley, B. Bedwell, T. Rodden,
McAuley, Energy Displays
Environmental Behavior: The Role of Social Values and
Distance of Climate Change, in Environmental
conference, Sep 2011.[pdf]
- A. Durrant, M. Golembewski, D.S. Kirk, S. Benford, D. Rowland, D. McAuley, Exploring a digital economy design space in theme parks, Proc. 2nd Conference on Creativity and Innovation in Design, Oct 2011.[doi]
- R. Mortier, T. Rodden, T. Lodge, D. McAuley, C. Rotsos, A. W. Moore, A. Koliousis, J. Sventek, Control and Understanding: Owning Your Home Network, COMSNETS 2012, Bangalore, Jan 2012.[pdf]
- L. Carletti, D. Price, R. Sinker, G. Giannachi, D. McAuley, J. Stack, K. Beaver, J. Mundy, Art mapping in Paris,
CHI'13 Extended Abstracts, paris 2013. [link]
- L. Edwards, D. McAuley, What’s in a name? Real name policies and social networks, Workshop on Internet Science and Web Science Synergies, Paris, May 2013. [pdf]
Selected invited talks
- Networking with Revd
Multiservice Networks 2001.
- Optical Local Area
Cambridge University Engineering Dept Seminar June 2003.
- Exploratory Research:
to innovation, People Inspired Innovation III,
- Packet Traces: good for
delta, invited talk at International Linear Algebra
Non-negative Matrices , July 2004.
- Where is Moore's Law
keynote at PREP 2004, April 2004; and, Annual Shamim
University of Essex, October 2004.
- Hamilton Bicentenary Year 2005 Public Lecture, Royal Irish
Academy, February 2005.
- Exploiting heterogeneous
for network flow processing, keynote address, ANCS
- Case studies in Ubicomp
commercialization, Grand Challenges Spring School,
- Some challenges in the
Economy, Activate 2009, london, July 2009.
- Location in Context,
2009, Nottingham, Septemebr 2009.[slides
- Prepare for success,
Activate 2010, London, July 2010.
- Keeping it Personal,
keynote address, PERCOM 2011, Seattle, March 2011.[slides
- Locational Data:
and Fears , WebSci 2011, June 2011 [slides
- Derek McAuley. Protocol
for High Speed Networks. PhD thesis, published as
University of Cambridge Computer Laboratory, January 1990.
- Derek McAuley David Greaves. Private
networks. Technical Report 92-7, Olivetti Research
- S. J. Mullender, I. M. Leslie,
and D. McAuley, Pegasus
Description, University of Cambridge
Computer Laboratory, Technical Report No. 281, Sep. 1992.
- I. Leslie, D. McAuley, and S.
Mullender, Pegasus --
Support for Distributed Multimedia
Systems, Tech. Rep. TR 282/Pegagus-92-2, University
Computer Laboratory, December 1992.
- I. Leslie, D. McAuley, R.
Needham, C. Nicolaou, A
Approach to Real-Time Miltronic Network
Architectures, DRA Farnborough FRN1c/600 March
- D. McAuley et al., Topics
Distributed Systems, SIGCOMM’94 tutorial, August
- D.D. Lee, D.R. McAuley, D.
Northcutt, and N. Wilhelm. High
Serial Communications for Desktop
Computer Peripherals. US Patent 16747-8/P973,
- I. Leslie, D. McAuley, R. Needham, C. Nicolaou, S. Crosby,
ATM in Civil Avionics,
Farnborough ATF/2770, November 1996.
- P. B. Key, D. R. McAuley, P.
Barham, and K. Laevens, Congestion
for congestion avoidance,
Microsoft Research Technical Report MSR-TR-99-15, MSR, 1999.
- Lavens, K, Key, P., and McAuley,
D., An ECN-based
congestion-control framework: experiments
and evaluation. Microsoft Research Technical
- D McAuley, Optical
Network, Computer Systems: Theory, Technology and
Springer Verlag, December 2003.
- C. Diot, G. Iannaccone, D. McAuley., TCP
congestion control, a Weapon of Mass
destruction, IRC-TR-03-001. December 2003.
- D. McAuley, Personal
And The Power Of Illusion, IEE Review February
- Laura B. James, Andrew W. Moore,
Madeleine Glick, Adrian Wonfor, Richard Plumb, Ian H. White,
McAuley and Richard V. Penty, Chasing
through the Network Stack
– A Testbed for Investigating Errors in Real Traffic on
Networks, IEEE Communications Magazine 2005. [pdf]
- D.McAuley, P. Barham, P. Key and K. Laevans, Congestion avoidance within aggregate channels. US Patent 7,023,800, 2006. [link]
- D. McAuley and G. Stark, Atomic Compare and Write Memory. US Patent 2009. [link]
- D.McAuley, P. Barham, P. Key and K. Laevans, Congestion avoidance within aggregate channels. US Patent 7,672,234, 2010. [link]
- D. McAuley, Free the
Public Service Review, Central Government Issue 21, pp.
- D. McAuley, Future of
Technology, Cheltenham Science Festival June 2011.
[slides as pdf]