Dr James Goulding is a Research Fellow at Computer Science at the University of Nottingham. He has a BSc in Econometrics, MSc in Computer Science, and following award of his PhD in Data Theory in 2008, he has specialized in novel forms of data science: analysis, visualization and mining of massive data sets, focusing on extracting value from the digital shadow.
0115 82 32557
0115 82 32551
Horizon Digital Economy Research,
University of Nottingham,
NG8 1BB, UK.
0115 82 32551
Horizon Digital Economy Research,
University of Nottingham,
NG8 1BB, UK.
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation [$100,000]
Financial Mapping in East Africa .
- UK Space Agency (Space for All Programme) [£6,000]
Revealing Martian Landscapes through Linked Physical and Virtual Models .
- ESRC/DFID/NERC Big Data for Reslience [£9,972]
Big Data for Flood Resilience in East Africa .
- EPSRC Next Stage Digital Economy grant [£4,062,954]
From Human Data to Personal Experience .
- Newton Funds (British Council) Institutional Links [£72,100]
Public Health Intelligence Network for Dengue Surveillance in Malaysia .
- Innovate UK, Knowledge Transfer Partnership [£169,600]
3D Laser Mapping and University of Nottingham .
- ESPRC/ESRC New Economic Models in the Digital Economy [£762,424]
Opening Developing Markets via Collaboration and Personal Data .
- TSB Transport Systems Catapault [£179,593]
East Midlands Intelligent Mobility Partnership .
- TSB Knowledge Transfer Partnership (w/ Krow Advertising) [£136,177]
A collaborative project to generate data analysis "dashboards" for predictive analytics .
- AHRC Creative Economy Knowledge Exchange Projects [£43,800]
3 internal project bids from the CEKE programme in Archives, Assets and Audiences .
- EPSRC, Horizon Digital Economy Research [£153,000]
Behavioural Trajectories - Categorizing & Predicting behaviour over time 
- The Centre for Digital Entertainment prize
Best demo, PARM, Electronic Visualization and the Arts 
- CFFRC-PLUS: Dimensional Informatics in Scientific Data [£57,400]
A PhD Sponsorship Award for the topic: Dimensional Informatics 
- CFFRC-PLUS: Community Knowledge Mining [£53,100]
A PhD Sponsorship Award for the topic: Community Knowledge Mining 
- EPSRC, Horizon Digital Economy Research [£175,300]
Neo-demographics: Modelling Human Behaviour from digital footprint data 
- EPSRC Research Development Fund (Call RDF0312 - Pump Priming) [£8,662]
Spatial Knowledge Acquisition: Exploring the Potential of the Projection Augmented Relief Model (PARM) technique 
- ACM SIGWEB Douglas Engelbart Award
Best Paper, ACM Hypertext & Hypermedia, Toronto 
- HEFCE Where:Now [£24,258]
A Knowledge Transfer Award from HEFCE's Higher Education Innovation Fund, that created a lresearch network for location-based computing 
- EPSRC Bridging the Gaps [£9,595]
Context, Location & Language: "A thrilling" feasibility study 
- EPSRC Bridging the Gaps [£3,000]
Applying Mobile GIS to Authoring of Location-Based Experiences 
- Personal PhD Scholarship [£12,000]
School of Computer Science, University of Nottingham 
- Event Series Prediction via Non-homogeneous Poisson Process Modelling, Goulding, J., Preston, S., Smith, G., Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Data Mining (ICDM), Barcelona, Dec 2016.
- Cross-domain Recommendation via linguistic modelling of social media data, Alanazi, S., McAuley, D., Goulding, J., ACM SIGWEB Conference on Hypertext, Montreal, 2016.[in review]
- Beyond Customer Segmentation - Temporal Topic Modelling for Big Retail Data, Goulding, J., Smith. G, Iliffe, M., Smith A., American Marketing Association Conference, Las Vegas, Feb 2016.
- Mobile Money - Towards Understanding Spending Patterns in Emerging Economies, Iliffe, M., Smith, A., Roadknight, Goulding, J., American Marketing Association Conference, Las Vegas, Feb 2016.
- Potential impact of air pollution coverage in the media on respiratory disease admissions, Goulding, J., Tang P-S, Shaw, D., Britsh Thoracic Society Winter Meeting (BTS), December 2015, London.
- A novel symbolization technique for time-series outlier detection, Smith, G., Goulding, J., ASH Workshop, IEEE Conference on Big Data (IEEE BigData), Oct 2015, Santa Clara.
- Computation of Novel Ideas from Scientific Corpora, Liu, H., Goulding, J., European Conference on Machine Learning and Principles and Practice of Knowledge Discovery in Databases (ECML-PKDD), Sept 2015, Porto.
- AMP: a new time-frequency feature extraction method for intermittent time-series data, Barrack, D., J. Goulding J., Hopcraft, K., Preston, S., Smith, G., ACM SIGKDD Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, Time Series Workshop, Aug 2015, Sydney.
- Grouping Contacts for Information Tasks, Holmes, P., Goulding, J., Sharples, S., British HCI 2015, Lincoln, 13th July, 2015.
- A Refined Limit on the Predictability of Human Mobility, Smith, G., Weiser, R., Goulding, J., Barrack, D., IEEE International Conference on Pervasive Computing (PERCOM), Hungary, March 24-28, 2014.
- Mapping Urban Neighbourhoods from Internet Derived Data, Brindley, P., Goulding, J., Wilson, M., ACM SIGSPATIAL, 2014, Dallas, Texas, USA
- Data Donation - Sharing Personal Data for Public Good. Skatova, A., Ng., E, Goulding, J., Digital Economy 2014: Application of Digital Innovation, 2014, London, UK.
- Using Commercial Big Data to inform social policy, Andrew Smith, James Goulding, 39th Annual Macromarketing Conference 2014, London, July 02-05, 2014.
- A basis projection method for the clustering of intermittent time-series, Barrack, D., Goulding, J., Hopcraft, K., Preston, S., Smith., G., International Congress of Mathematicians, 2014, Seoul.
- Mapping Urban Neighbourhoods from Internet Derived Data, Brindley, P., Goulding, J., Wilson, M., GISRUK 2014, Glasgow, UK.
- Perceived risks of personal data sharing. Skatova, A., Houghton, R., Mortier, R., Lodge, T., Goulding, J., Crowcroft, J., and Madhavapeddy A., Digital Economy 2013: Open Digital, 2013, Manchester, UK.
- Towards optimal symbolization for time series comparisons, Smith, G., Goulding, J., Barrack. D., IEEE International Conference on Data Mining, Dec 2013, Dallas, US.
- Improving Route Prediction through User Journey Detection, Dimond, M., Goulding, J., Smith, A., ACM SIGSPATIAL, Nov 2013, Orlando, Florida, USA
- Dataware, A Personal Data Architecture, Mortier, R., Lodge, T., Goulding, J., Skatova, A., Houghton, Crowcroft, J., and Madhavapeddy A., Digital Economy 2013: Open Digital, 2013, UK.
- Neo-demographics: Distributions in the Digital Shadow, Goulding, J., Smith, G., Barrack, D., Digital Futures 2012, 9, October 22-25, 2012, Aberdeen, UK.
- The influence of Digital Surface Model choice on Visibility-based Mobile Geospatial Applications, Meek, S., Goulding, J., Priestnall, G., Transactions in GIS, Wiley-Blackwell, 2012.
- Heuristics & Usability of Virtual Attack Point Navigation, Preston, W., Goulding, J., Jackson, M., Burnett, G., The First ACM SIGSPATIAL International Workshop on Mobile Geographic Information Systems (MobiGIS) 2012, November 6 2012, Redondo Beach, California
- Remote Mobile Capture of Points of Interest Using Line of Sight Modelling, Meek, S., Priestnall, G., Sharples, M., Goulding, J., Computers & Geosciences, vol. 50, Elsevier, 2012.
- Dynamic Waypoint Placement for Pedestrian Navigation in Augmented Reality Based On Visibility & Heuristics, Preston, W., Goulding, J., Jackson, M., Burnett, G., LBS 2012, 9th Symposium on Location Based Services, October 16-18, 2012, Munich, Germany.
- Evaluating extraction functions for detection of users' journeys, Dimond, M., Smith, G., Goulding, J., LBS 2012, 9th Symposium on Location Based Services, October 16-18, 2012, Munich Germany.
- A Comparison of Acceptance Criteria for the Daily Car-Pooling Problem, Swan, J., Drake, J., Ozcan, E., Goulding, J., Woodward, J., ISCIS 2012, 27th International Symposium on Computer and Information Sciences, October 3-5, 2012, Paris, France
- Projection Augmented Relief Models (PARM): Tangible Displays for Geographic Information, Priestnall, G., Gardiner, J., Durrant, J., Goulding, J., Electronic Visualisation and the Arts 2012, Covent Garden, London, July 11, 2012
- HCI and the Web, Ashman, H., Brailsford, T., Burnett, G.E., Goulding, J., Moore, A., Stewart, C., Truran, M., In A. Sears & J.A. Jacko (Eds.). The Human-Computer Interaction Handbook: Fundamentals, Evolving Technologies and Emerging Applications (3rd edition), May 2012.
- Comparing predefined and learned trajectory partitioning with applications to pedestrian route prediction, Dimond, M., Smith, G., Goulding, J., Jackson, M. and Meng, X., GISRUK 2012, University of Lancaster, 11-13th April 2012.
- The Influence of Digital Surface Model choice on visibility-based Mobile Geospatial Applications, Meek, S., Goulding, J., Priestnall, G., GISRUK 2012, University of Lancaster, 11-13th April 2012.
- Serious Mixed Reality Games, Fischer, J. E., Flintham, M., Price, D., Goulding, J., Pantidi, N., Rodden, T., The 2012 ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW2012), Mixed Reality Games Workshop, February 11-15, 2012, Bellevue, WA
- Privacy Preserving Personalization via Dataware, Goulding, J., Mortier, R., McAuley, D., Digital Engagement 2011, Newcastle, November 2011.
- A Framework for Crowd-Sourcing Personal Data, Price, D., Greenhalgh, C., Ali, S., Goulding, J., Mortier, R. Digital Engagement 2011, Newcastle, November 2011.
- Pedestrian Route Prediction using Augmented Cover Trees, Smith, G, and Goulding, J, NEMO Workshop, European Conference on Machine Learning and Principles and Practice of Knowledge Discovery in Databases, September 2011.
- Ubquitous Personalization with Privacy Preservation: A Dataware Solution, Goulding, J., Mortier, R., MacAuley, D., Horizon Research Conference, Nottingham, July 2011.
- Scent trails: countering terrorism through informed surveillance, A. Sandham, T. Ormerod, C. Dando, R. Bull, M. Jackson, J. O. Goulding, 14th International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction, Orlando, Florida, July 2011.
- The Open Data Revolution and Data Literacy in Higher Education, Professor Derek McAuley, Dr. Hanif Rahemtulla, Dr. James Goulding, Dr. Catherine Souch, in 'Blue Skies: New thinking about the future of higher education', Pearson, London, May 2011.
- The Dataware Manifesto, D. McAuley, R. Mortier, J.Goulding, The 3rd International Conference on Communication Systems and networks (COMSNETS), Bangalore, India, Jan 2011.
- Hyperorders and Transclusion: Understanding Dimensional Hypertext, J. Goulding, T. Brailsford, H. Ashman, HT10: Proceedings of the 21st ACM conference on Hypertext and hypermedia, Toronto, Canada, 2010 (Douglas Englebart Award).
- Workflow issues for Health mapping mashups of OGC Web Services, D. Leibovici , S. Anand, J. Swan, J. Goulding, G. Hobona, S. Pawlowicz , M. Jackson and R. James, The 13th AGILE International Conference on Geographic Information Science, Guimarães, Portugal, 2010.
- Geospatial mashups for health and epidemic mapping using OGC standards, D. Leibovici , S. Anand, J. Swan, J. Goulding, G. Hobona , M. Jackson and R. James, The use of mapping software & systems in health and academic research, HealthgIS, Royal Geographic Society, London, 2009.
- Exploiting Geospatial Technology To Investigate Criminal Activities And Improve Civil Defence: The D-SCENT Project, J. Goulding, DGI09: Defence Geospatial Intelligence, Middle East, Dubai, 2009.
- Hyperplace: A platform for Location Based Gaming, J. Goulding, A. Moore, 6th International Symposium on LBS & TeleCartography, Nottingham, 2009.
- AnswerTree - a Collaborative Mobile Location-Based Educational Game, A. Moore, J. Goulding, E. Brown, mLearn '09: 8th World Conference on Mobile and Contextual Learning. October 2009.
- Using Positioning and Geospatial Data to Identify and Investigate Deceptions in Public Settings: The role of Scent Trails, M. J., Jackson, and J. O. Goulding, Defence Geospatial Intelligence Europe (DGI) Conference 2009, London, 21-22 Jan. 2009.
- Generating unambiguous URL clusters from web search, G. Smith, T. Brailsford, C. Donner, D. Hooijmaijers, M. Truran, J. Goulding, H. Ashman, WSCD '09: Proceedings of the 2009 workshop on Web Search Click Data, Publisher: ACM
- HCI and the Web, Ashman, H., Brailsford, T., Burnett, G.E., Goulding, J., Moore, A., Stewart, C., Truran, M. (2008). , In A. Sears & J.A. Jacko (Eds.). The Human-Computer Interaction Handbook: Fundamentals, Evolving Technologies and Emerging Applications (2nd edition), Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, pp. 559-572.
- Hypertext conference review, A. Chin, J. Goulding, SIGWEB Newsletter , Volume 2008 Issue Summer, Publisher: ACM
- The Global Perpetual Dictionary of Everything, H. Ashman, D. Zhou, J. Goulding, T. Brailsford, M. Truran, AusWEB 2007, The 13th Australasian World Wide Web Conference.
- Gcon: a graph-based technique for resolving ambiguity in query translation candidates, D. Zhou, M. Truran, T. Brailsford, H. Ashman, J. Goulding, SAC '08: Proceedings of the 2008 ACM symposium on Applied computing, Publisher: ACM
- LLAMA: automatic hypertext generation utilizing language models, D. Zhou, J. Goulding, M. Truran, T. Brailsford, HT '07: Proceedings of the eighteenth conference on Hypertext and hypermedia, Publisher: ACM
- Search habits of the computer literate, J. Wells, M. Truran, J. Goulding, HT '07: Proceedings of the eighteenth conference on Hypertext and hypermedia, Publisher: ACM
- Autonomous authoring tools for hypertext, , M. Truran, J. Goulding, H. Ashman, September 2007, Computing Surveys (CSUR) , Volume 39 Issue 3, Publisher: ACM
- Co-active intelligence for image retrieval, M. Truran, J. Goulding, H. Ashman, November 2005, MULTIMEDIA '05: Proceedings of the 13th annual ACM international conference on Multimedia, Publisher: ACM
- Orthofaces and Dimension Reduction, J. Goulding , L. Bai, The International Conference on Image on Imaging Science, Systems, and Technology, Las Vegas, USA, 2005