I currently have an h-index of 34.
My papers can be found through my Google Scholar. I am in the process, however, of putting links onto here. Very much a work in progress. More up to date are Google Scholar, Researchgate and Nottingham prints
I currently (PI & CI) have a grant portfolio of circa £850K through Innovate UK and Horizon 2020.
VEDAT (Value Enhancement for Data from Assets & Transactions)
This project (led by Microlise Ltd) focuses on transport & logistics will develop innovations to tackle the challenges of high volumes of complex Big Data generated hourly during "assets and transactions tracking and monitoring" in logistics companies and organisations.
COSLE (Collaborative Optimisation in a Shared-Logistics Environment)
This project (led by Microlise Ltd) is to develop an innovative service to enable collaboration in a shared freight transport logistics environment. We will bring location data (about where goods, vehicles, senders and consignees are at any time, etc.) and environmental data (weather, traffic, events, etc.) together with GPS, vehicle telematics, optimisation, image processing and mobile technology (including augmented reality). This innovative service will enable a shared distribution concept to reduce freight empty runs and create business opportunities for users at all levels.
OPTIMISED (Operational Planning Tool Interfacing Manufacturing Integrated Simulations with Empirical Data)
EU H2020 Factory of the Future project called OPTIMISED. This 7m euro EU research grant will develop and deploy IoT technologies and analytics to optimise manufacturing scheduling and performance, whilst also assessing energy demand response as a critical input to manufacturing planning utilising Industrie 4.0 (Industry 4.0) technologies.
ENLIVEN (Encouraging Lifelong Learning for an Inclusive and Vibrant Europe)
Encouraging Lifelong Learning for an Inclusive and Vibrant Europe Funding Body: European Commission H2020 (EU 693989) Amount Awarded: GBP392k at CS UoN, GBP1.6m at the Consortium Investigators: Rong Qu, Robert John, Jason Atkin Duration: Oct 2016 - Sept 2019
Simon Coupland and I won best paper in IEEE Transactions on Fuzzy Systems in 2010 for our paper in 2007:
Geometric Type-1 and Type-2 Fuzzy Logic Systems, S. Coupland and R. I. John, IEEE Transactions on Fuzzy Systems, 15(1):3 - 15, Febuary 2007
Highly Cited Papers
My citations on Google Scholar
The following two papers are amongst the top 1% of ALL cited papers on ISI Web of Science and in the top 0.1% of all Computer Science.
J. Mendel, R. John, and F. Liu (2006) Interval Type-2 Fuzzy Logic Systems Made Simple. IEEE Transactions on Fuzzy Systems, 14(6), pp 808-821
J. Mendel, R.I. John (2002) Type-2 fuzzy sets made simple. IEEE Transactions on Fuzzy Systems, 10 (2), 117-127 (October 2004) (ISSN 1063-6706).
Award winning video Introduction to Fuzzy Logic
Current and Recent grants:
- Horizon 2020 - ENLIVEN (CI) (Encouraging Lifelong Learning for an Inclusive and Vibrant Europe) Total proposal £1,612,887, To UoN - £567,874, To Computer Science - £265,510
- Horizon 2020 - OPTIMISED (Operational Planning Tool Interfacing Manufacturing Integrated Simulations with Empirical Data): Total proposal £4,903,941, To UoN £559,546, To Computer Science - £137,187
- Innovate UK (CI) COSLE (Collaborative Optimisation in a Shared-Logistics Environment) £1m, £299,482 to Nottingham
- TSB (PI) VEDAT (Value Enhancement for Data from Assets & Transactions) -- Grant Value: £500K, £149,401 to Nottingham
- EPSRC (PI): Towards More Effective Computational Search - EP/H000968/1 -- Grant value: £1,010,976
- EPSRC (PI): Towards a Framework for Modelling Variation - EPSRC EP/C542215/1 -- Grant value: £145,356
- EPSRC (PI): Uncertainty Modelling in Technologies for the Elderly - EP/F013167/1 -- Grant Value £45,447
- DTI (PI): Improving customer demand and cost forecasting methods - TP/5/DAT/6/1/H025E -- Grant value: £380,000
- DTI KTP (PI): Knowledge Transfer Partnership with GoMad -- Grant Value £145,000
- DTI KTP (PI): Knowledge Transfer Partnership with ParkAir -- Grant Value £127,000
- Lachesis (PI): Data Perspective -- Grant Value: £250,000
- Royal Society (PI): Incoming Travel Grant -- Grant Value: £13,000
- EPSRC (CI): IMI: IMPROVING THE COST MODEL DEVELOPMENT PROCESS (COSTMOD) - GR/M58818/01 -- Grant Value: £293,531
- EPSRC (CI): Workshop on the Future of (UK) Fuzzy Systems Research - EP/E058388/1 -- Grant Value: £12,026
- HIRF (CI): Hardware Implementation of a Type-2 Fuzzy Logic System - Grant value: £16,028
I am international scientific adviser to OPTIMIST-RRT (OPTIMisation: using Intelligent Simulation Tools - Robust & Real-Time extensions) which has a grant value of 10 Million Swedish Kroner.
Selected Recent Papers:
- Graham Kendall et al (2016)Good Laboratory Practice for optimization research. Journal of the Operational Research Society (2016) 67, 676-689
- Arjab Singh Khuman, Yingjie Yang, Robert John, Quantification of R-fuzzy sets, Expert Systems with Applications, Volume 55, 15 August 2016, Pages 374-387, ISSN 0957-4174, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2016.02.010.
- Youdthachai Lertworaprachaya, Yingjie Yang, Robert John, Interval-valued fuzzy decision trees with optimal neighbourhood perimeter, Applied Soft Computing, Volume 24, November 2014, Pages 851-866, ISSN 1568-4946, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.asoc.2014.08.060.
- Miller, Simon Gongora, Mario Garibaldi, Jon and John, Robert (2012) Interval type-2 fuzzy modelling and stochastic search for real-world inventory management. Soft Computing - A Fusion of Foundations, Methodologies and Applications, Springer Berlin / Heidelberg, 16(8), pp 1447 -- 1459 Doi: 10.1007/s00500-012-0848-y
- Greenfield Sarah, Chiclana Francisco, John Robert (2012) The sampling method of defuzzification for type-2 fuzzy sets: Experimental evaluation. Information Sciences, 189, pp 77 -- 92. DOI: 10.1016/j.ins.2011.11.042
- Martinez Javier Solano, John Robert I. and Hissel Daniel (2012) A survey-based type-2 fuzzy logic system for energy management in hybrid electrical vehicles. Information Sciences, 190, pp 192 -- 207. DOI: 10.1016/j.ins.2011.12.013
- Yang Yingjie and John Robert (2012) Grey sets and greyness. Information Sciences, 185 (1) pp 249 -- 264 DOI: 10.1016/j.ins.2011.09.029
- Zhou Shang-Ming, Chiclana Francisco, John Robert I. and Garibaldi Jonathan (2011) Alpha-Level Aggregation: A Practical Approach to Type-1 OWA Operation for Aggregating Uncertain Information with Applications to Breast Cancer Treatments. IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, 23 (10) pp1455--1468, DOI: 10.1109/TKDE.2010.191
PhD students (Nottingham)
Warren Jackson (2nd)