Rong Qu's BSc/MSc Project Ideas
Recommended modules: G51FAI, G52AIM, G54DMT and other AI or MO modules in the school. It is expected that project students undertaking the projects of the following topics are strong on one of programming languages to carry out the computational study and analysis.
Type of projects: Machine Learning, Data Mining and Analysis; Algorithm Design and Development; Business & Management Modeling
Examples of techniques: data visualisation / analysis; AI heuristic algorithms; decision tree; k-means; neural networks; regression; clustering
Examples of applications: transport scheduling / optimisation; resource optimisation; personnel scheduling; financial data analysis; portfolio management; capital budgeting; credit scoring
Software skills: Matlab, R, Python, Weka, Excel VBA, Excel Solver, Java, C#/C++, etc.
You are encouraged to develop your own project ideas by extending / revising the below ideas so it also falls into your own inetrests.
- Visualisation Big Data
To identify useful knowledge / petterns etc. by using one of the machine learning techniques data visualisation. Application domains include visualisation of traffic / transport data (Uber Movement, New York taxi), exchange rate / temperature / weather, credit scoring, etc.
Keywords: Artificial Intelligence; Data mining; Data visualisation
Skills: Matlab, Weka, R or data analytical tools; data processing; programming (Python, Java, C++, or VBA Excel, etc.)
- Traffic network simulation
To visualise real-time traffic flows in road maps based on traffic data (New York taxi trips)
Keywords: Artificial Intelligence; Data mining; Data visualisation; Machine learning;
Skills: Matlab or data analytical tools; data processing; integration of data visualisation within simulation platforms; programming (Python, Java, C++, or VBA Excel, etc.)
- Portfolio optimisation / Financial Data Analysis
To develop intelligent AI algorithms (evolutionary algorithms, optimisation methods for portfolio selection problems (selecting combination of assets / stocks from Yahoo! Finance, to minimise risk and maximise return), or machine learning techniques (neurial networks, decision tree, random forest, or visualisation, etc. on financial data, i.e. stock, exchange, forecast, etc.)
Keywords: Portfolio optimisation; Financial data analysis, Algorithmic trading, Metaheuristics; Computational Finance.
Skills: AI methods; programming (Python, Java, C++, or VBA Excel, etc.) or Matlab / R / Weka
- Case Based Reasoning (CBR) in financial / industrial applications
As a knowledge based system CBR provides solutions based on similar problems stored in a case base. The application domains range from industry to finance (credit scoring, financial prediction, route planning, etc.).
Keywords: CBR; financial problems; traffic management.
Skills: database; programming (Java, C++, or C#, VBA Excell, etc.)
- Your own project idea
The scope should be related to artificial intelligence or machine learning. The workload needs to be appropriate, achievable in one year (40 credits), depends on your skills and ability to learn new things quickly. Individual projects are different from taught modules mainly on that you'll need a lot of hours of independant study.
Selected previous BSc/MSc projects:
You may also want to develop your own ideas based on the below previous project, provided enough NEW work is included.
- Road Accident Classification using Machine Learning
- Stock Price Prediction using Artificial Neural Network (distinction, best iTi project award)
- Calculating CAMELS Ratings using Case-Based Reasoning (distinction, best iTi project award)
- Stock Price Prediction Using Artificial Neural Networks and Support Vector Machine (distinction)
- Constraint Handling in Genetic Algorithms (distinction)
- Othello: AI Search Algorithm vs. Expert Systems (distinction)
- Genetic Algorithms to Travelling Salesman Problems (distinction)
- Traffic Flow Simulation and Diversion Modelling (distinction)
- Empirical Comparisons of Evolutionary Algorithms to the Tuning of a Chess Engine (distinction)
- Genetic Algorithms on Function Optimisation
- Hybrid AI System for Portfolio Optimisation (distinction)
- Artificial Neural Networks and Decision Tree techniques on Credit Scoring
- Interactive Course/Module Registration Assistant (group project 2008/09)
Selected project demos:
Simulation and Visualisation of Taxi Trips at NYC (group project 2017/18)