- Ruibin Bai, John R. Woodward, Nachiappan Subramanian, John Cartlidge. 2018. Optimisation of Transportation Service Network Using κ-node Large Neighbourhood Search. Computers & Operations Research. 89:193-205. doi: 10.1016/j.cor.2017.06.008. (SCI, open download).
- Xiaoping Jiang, Ruibin Bai, Jason Atkin, Graham Kendall. 2016. A Scheme for Determining Vehicle Routes Based on Arc-based Service Network Design. INFOR Information Systems and Operational Research. Accepted. (SCI, Regular paper).
- Xiang Li, Ruibin Bai and Jon McKechnie. 2016. Environmental and financial performance of mechanical recycling of carbon fibre reinforced polymers and comparison with conventional disposal routes. Journal of Cleaner Production 127:451-460. doi: 10.1016/j.jclepro.2016.03.139. (SCI, regular paper).
- Graham Kendall, Ruibin Bai, Jacek Blazewicz, Patrick De Causmaecker, Michel Gendreau, Robert John, Jiawei Li, Barry McCollum, Erwin Pesch, Rong Qu, Nasser Sabar, Greet Vanden Berghe and Angelina Yee. 2015. Good Laboratory Practice for optimization research. Journal of the Operational Research Society 67(4):676–689. doi: 10.1057/jors.2015.77. (SCI, regular paper). This paper is freely available for open download.
- Ruibin Bai*, Ning Xue, Jianjun Chen and Gethin W. Roberts. 2015. A Set-covering Model for a Bidirectional Multi-shift Full Truckload Vehicle Routing Problem. Transportation Research Part B: Methodological. 79:134-148. (SCI, ABS level 4, regular paper). doi: 10.1016/j.trb.2015.06.002. .pdf, benchmark data.
- Jingpeng Li, Ruibin Bai*, Yindong Shen, and Rong Qu. 2015.
Search with Evolutionary Ruin and Stochastic Rebuild: a Theoretic Framework and a Case Study on Exam Timetabling.
European Journal of Operational Research 242:798-806. (SCI,ABS level 4, regular paper). doi:10.1016/j.ejor.2014.11.002.
- Rong Qu, Nam Pham, Ruibin Bai, Graham Kendall. 2014. Hybridising heuristics within an estimation distribution algorithm for examination timetabling. Applied Intelligence . 42:679-693. (SCI, regular paper). doi:10.1007/s10489-014-0615-0.
- Ramanathan J. Basu, Ruibin Bai*, and PL.A. Palaniappan. 2015. A strategic approach to improve sustainability in transportation service procurement. Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review. 74:152-168. (SCI, regular paper). doi:10.1016/j.tre.2014.10.015.
- Ruibin Bai, Stein W. Wallace, Jingpeng Li and Alain Yee-Loong, Alain.2014. Stochastic Service Network Design with Rerouting. Transportation Research Part B: Methodological. 60:50-65. (SCI, ABS Level 4, regular paper). doi:10.1016/j.trb.2013.11.001. pdf, ps.
- Yisong Chen, Yanping Yang, Xiang Li, Haibo Dong and Ruibin Bai. 2014. Life cycle resource consumption of automotive power seats. International Journal of Environmental Studies 71(4):449-462. doi:10.1080/00207233.2014.942150
Bai, Ruibin, Li, Jiawei, Atkin , Jason A D, and Kendall, Graham. 2014. A Novel Approach to Independent Taxi Scheduling Problem Based on Stable Matching. Journal of the Operational Research Society. 65(10):1501-1510. (SCI, regular paper). dio:10.1057/jors.2013.96, pdf,
Chong, A.Y.L. and Bai, Ruibin, 2014. Predicting open IOS adoption in SMEs: An integrated SEM-neural network approach. Expert Systems with Application. 41(1):221-229. (SCI, regular paper). doi: 10.1016/j.eswa.2013.07.023.
- Shi Cheng, Yuhui Shi, Quande Qin, Qingyu Zhang and Ruibin Baixs. 2015. Population Diversity Maintenance In Brain Storm Optimization Algorithm. Journal of Artificial Intelligence and Soft Computing Research. 4(2):83-97. doi: 10.1515/jaiscr-2015-0001, (Regular Paper).
- Xing, Huanlai, Qu, Rong, Kendall, Graham and Bai, Ruibin. 2013. A path-oriented encoding evolutionary algorithm for network coding resource minimization. Journal of the Operational Research Society.65(8):1261–1277. (SCI, regular paper). doi:10.1057/jors.2013.79, pdf.
Ruibin Bai, Tom van Woensel, Graham Kendall and Edmund K. Burke, A new model and a hyper-heuristic approach for two-dimensional shelf space allocation, 4OR - A Quarterly Journal of Operations Research, 11(1):31-55, 2013. (SCI, regular paper). doi: 10.1007/s10288-012-0211-2, pdf, bibtex.
Li, J., Davies, G.J., Kendall, G., Soanec, E., Bai, R., Rocks, S.A., Evidence and Belief in Regulatory Decisions Incorporating Expected Utility into decision modelling, Expert Systems with Applications, 39(10):8604-8610, 2012. (SCI, regular paper). doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2012.01.193.
Bai, Ruibin, Kendall, G., Qu, R., Atkin, J. Tabu assisted guided local search approaches for freight service network Design. Information Sciences, 189:266-281, 2012. (SCI, regular paper). doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ins.2011.11.028, pdf.
Bai, Ruibin J. Blazewicz, E. Burke, G. Kendall and B. McCollum, B. A Simulated Annealing Hyper-heuristic Methodology for Flexible Decision Support. 4OR - A Quarterly Journal of Operations Research, 10(1):43-66, 2012. (SCI, regular paper). doi: 10.1007/s10288-011-0182-8, pdf
- Bai, R., Burke, E. K., Kendall, G., Li, J. and McCollum, B. 2010. A Hybrid Evolutionary Approach to the Nurse Rostering Problem. IEEE Transaction on Evolutionary Computation,
14(4):580-590. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TEVC.2009.2033583, pdf.
- Bai, Ruibin and Kendall, G. 2008. A Model for Fresh Produce Shelf Space Allocation and Inventory Management with Freshness Condition Dependent Demand, INFORMS Journal on Computing
20(1):78-85. (SCI, UT/Dallas, regular paper). doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1287/ijoc.1070.0219, pdf.
- Bai, Ruibin , Burke, E. K. and Kendall, G. 2008.
Heuristic and Meta-heuristics for the Optimisation of Fresh Produce
Inventory Control and Shelf Space Allocation Problem, Journal of
the Operational Research Society 59:1387-1397. (SCI, regular paper). doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.jors.2602463, pdf.
Bai, Ruibin. Modeling Issues of Multi-level Multi-Mode Freight Service Network Design and Fleet Scheduling, China Market-Logistics and Procurement Research , 41: 107-120, 2010, in Chinese.
- Bai, Ruibin and Kendall, Graham, 2005. An Investigation of
Using a Simulated Annealing Based Hyper-heuristics. Operations Research/Computer Science Interfaces series 32: 87-108. pdf
Refereed Conference Papers:
- Ruibin Bai, Stein W. Wallace, Xiaoping Jiang, Graham Kendall, Dario Landa-Silva. 2018. Designing e-Commerce Transportation Network: Challenges and Solutions. 6th INFORMS Transportation Science and Logistics Society Workshop. 7 - 10 January, 2018. Hong Kong, China.
- Xiaoping Jiang, Ruibin Bai, Dario Landa-Silva and Uwe Aickelin. Fuzzy C-Means-based Scenario Bundling for Stochastic Service Network Design. 2017 IEEE Symposiums on Computational Intelligence in Scheduling and Network Design (CISND2017), November 27 To December 1, 2017, Hawaii, US.
- X. Li, R. Bai, 2016. Freight Vehicle Travel Time Prediction Using Gradient Boosting Regression Tree, The 15th IEEE International Conference on Machine Learning and Applications (IEEE ICMLA'16), Anaheim, California, USA, December 18-20, 2016. (Poster Paper)
- Ruibin Bai, John R. Woodward and Nachiappan Subramanian. 2016. A New Fast Large Neighbourhood Search for Service Network Design with Asset Balance Constraints. 2016 IEEE Symposiums on Computational Intelligence in Scheduling and Network Design (CISND2017), 6-9 December, 2016 Athens, Greece.
- Jianjun Chen, Ruibin Bai, Haibo Dong, Rong Qu and Graham Kendall. 2016. A Dynamic Truck Dispatching Problem in Marine Container Terminal. 2016 IEEE Symposiums on Computational Intelligence in Scheduling and Network Design (CISND2017), 6-9 December, 2016 Athens, Greece.
- Li, X., Bai, R., 2016. Freight vehicle travel time prediction using sparse Gaussian processes regression with trajectory data, in the proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Intelligent Data Engineering and Automated Learning (IDEAL 2016), Yangzhou, China, October 12–14, 2016, pp. 143–153.
- Ning Xue, Ruibin Bai. A Branch-and-price Approach for the Bidirectional Multi-shift Full Truckload Vehicle Routing Problem. The 8th International Annual Conference of the Chinese Scholars Association for Management Science and Engineering (CSAMSE2015), Shenyang, China. 25-27 July, 2015.
- Ning Xue, Ruibin Bai, Gethin W. Roberts. A study of automated container truck travel time prediction based on real-life GPS data Using ARIMA. The 9th International Conference on Operations and Supply Chain Management (ICOSCM2015). This paper was given the “Outstanding Paper Award”, 12th -15th July 2015.
- Tianxiang Cui, Ruibin Bai, Andrew J. Parkes, Fang He, Rong Qu, Jingpeng Li. 2015.
A Hybrid Genetic Algorithm for a Two-Stage Stochastic Portfolio Optimization With Uncertain Asset Prices. In the proceedings of 2015 IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation (CEC2015), Sendai, Japan, 25-28th May 2015.
- Xia Li, Ruibin Bai, Peer-Olaf Siebers and Christian Wagner. 2014. Modeling Urban Road Risky Driving Behaviors in China with Multi-agent Microscopic Traffic Simulation. 2014 IEEE 17th International Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITSC). October 8-11, 2014. Qingdao, China. pdf
- Tianxiang Cui, Shi Cheng and Ruibin Bai. 2014. A Combinatorial Algorithm for the Cardinality Constrained Portfolio Optimization Problem. 2014 IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation (CEC) July 6-11, Beijing, China. pp. 491-498. pdf
- Shi Cheng, Yuhui Shi, Quande Qin, T. O. Ting and Ruibin Bai. 2014. Maintaining Population Diversity in Brain Storm Optimization Algorithm. 2014 IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation (CEC) July 6-11, Beijing, China. pp. 3230-3237.pdf.
- Cheng, Shi, Shi, Yuhui, Qin, Quande and Bai, Ruibin. 2013. Swarm Intelligence in Big Data Analytics. In the proceedings of 2013 Intelligent Data Engineering and Automated Learning (IDEAL 2013), Lecture Notes in Computer Science Volume 8206, pp 417-426. Springer. pdf
Chen, Jianjun, Bai, Ruibin, Qu, Rong and Kendall, Graham, 2013. A Task Based Approach for A Real-World Commodity Routing Problem. In the proceedings of 2013 IEEE Symposium Series on Computational Intelligence, April 15-19, 2013, Singapore. Nominated for best paper award.
Bai, R., J. Li and J. Atkin, G. Kendall,. 2011, A Game Theoretic Approach for the Taxi Scheduling Problem with Street Hailing, The 5rd Multidisciplinary International Conference on Scheduling: Theory and Applications (MISTA 2011), 9-12 August, 2011, Arizona, US.
Bai, R. and Kendall, G. 2010. "Tabu Assisted Guided Local Search Approaches for Freight Service Network Design". In the CD proceedings of the 8th International Conference on the Practice and Theory of of Automated Timetabling, 10th-13th August, 2010, Belfast, Northern Ireland, pp. 468-471. pdf.
- Bai, R., Kendall, G. and Li, J. An Efficient Guided Local Search Approach for Service Network Design Problem with Asset Balancing, 2010 International Conference on Logistics Systems and Intelligent Management (ICLSIM 2010), 9-10 January, 2010, Harbin, China, pp. 110-115. pdf .
- Li, J., Kendall, G., Pollard, S., Soane, E., Davies, G. and Bai, R. A Decision Support Approach for Group Decision Making under Risk and Uncertainty, 2010 International Conference on Logistics Systems and Intelligent Management (ICLSIM 2010), 9-10 January, 2010, Harbin, China, pp. 1856-1860. pdf
- Woodward, J.R. and Bai, R., 2009. A Canonical Representation for Genetic Programming, Accepted by World Summit on Genetic and Evolutionary Computation (GEC Summit), June 12 - 14, 2009, Shanghai, China. ACM, pp. 582-592. This paper also won the best paper award (out of 108 full papers). pdf
- Woodward, J.R. and Bai, R.., 2009. Why Evolution Is Not a Good Paradigm For Program Induction; A Critique of Genetic Programming, Accepted by World Summit on Genetic and Evolutionary Computation (GEC Summit), June 12 - 14, 2009, Shanghai, China. ACM, pp. 593-600. pdf
- Bai, R., Burke, E. K., Gendreau M. and Kendall, G. 2007. A
Simulated Annealing Hyper-heuristic: Adaptive Heuristic Selection for
Different Vehicle Routing Problems. The 3rd
Multidisciplinary International Conference on Scheduling: Theory and
Applications (MISTA 2007), Paris, France, August 28-31.
- Bai, R., Burke, E. K., Kendall, G. and McCollum, B., 2007.
Length in Hyper-heuristics: An Empirical Study. Accepted for
publication in the proceeding of 2007 IEEE Symposium on Computational
Intelligence in Scheduling (CISched2007), 1-5 April, Hilton Hawaiian
Village, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, pp.173-178. pdf
- Bai, R., Burke, E. K., Kendall, G. and McCollum, B., 2006.
Annealing Hyper-heuristic for University Course Timetabling Problem. In
the Proceeding of the 6th International Conference on the Practice and
Theory of Automated Timetabling, 30 Aug.-1 Sept, Brno, Czech Republic,
pp. 345-350. pdf
- Bai, R. and Kendall, G., 2005. An Investigation of
Using a Simulated Annealing Based Hyper-heuristic. In the Proceedings
of the 5th Metaheuristics International Conference (MIC 2003), Kyoto,
Japan, Aug. 25-28, 2003.
Bai, R, An Investigation
of Novel Approaches for the Optimising Retail
Shelf Space Allocation. PhD Thesis, The University of Nottingham, 2005.
Bai, R, Nesting of
Two-dimensional Irregular Shapes Utilising The No
Fit Polygon. MSc Thesis, Northwestern Polytechnic University, 2002.
Bai, R. and Kendall, G.,
Designing Efficient Low-level Heuristics in
the Hyper-heuristic Framework, OR47, 13-15 September 2005, Chester, UK.
Bai, R. and Kendall, G.,
Recent Advances in the Production of Automated
Planograms. The CORS/INFORMS Joint International Meeting, 16-19 May
2004, Banff, Canada.
Bai, R. and Kendall, G.,
Optimisation of Supermarkets Shelf Space
Allocation, The Third EPSRC PhD Student Workshop on Scheduling. 12 May
2003, University of Bradford, UK.
December 12th 2005.
Optimising Retail Shelf Space Allocation, Technische Universiteit
Eindhoven (TU/e), Eindhoven, Holland.
March 13-16th 2007.
Two-dimensional Automated Shelf Space Allocation. Dagstuhl-Seminar
07112: Cutting, Packing, Layout and Space Allocation, Saarbruchen,